Saturday, April 08, 2006

Catch up time

CA trip Day 11
4/1
Woke up early at Chris's house in Carlsbad. Drove south to La Jolla to meet up with the San Diego Bicycle Club for their Saturday morning ride. They have 3 main groups; A, B, & C. I was told the A group was for the very fit and racer types. I decided to give it a go and figured if I got dropped I'd just fall back to the B group.

There was well over a hundred people in total and about 40 took off in the A group. I must say I was surprised at the flippant way this group treated traffic laws. I followed as they ran most red lights, barely slowed at stop signs, pissed off car drivers, and took over lanes when there was an empty bike path right next to it.

Anyway, the pace was fast as we worked our way out of the city. I got dropped on the first real climb, but it didn't help that I was already about 30 people back when it started. I passed at least 15 of them and at the top there was a short regroup. From that point on I was able to hang with the front group and I was real happy about that.

In my ongoing quest to avoid the rain it got me again. About 15 miles into the ride it started coming down on us. I was able to just laugh it off as yet again I'm stuck riding in the rain in SoCal. Luckily it only lasted about 20 minutes so it wasn't too bad.

Back at the sarting point I had completed 45 miles with a 22 average. Considering the hills and beach towns we slowed through we were really moving fast most of the ride to have that avg. I don't feel so bad missing the race back in Thousand Oaks cuz this was a little race in itself.

I met a few cool people, including one guy that agreed with me that we should obey the traffic laws better. There were some hottie's on the ride too. I could move down here and join this weekly ride!

Grabbed some lunch and headed for a nearby beach to eat and relax. Parked off of La Jolla Shores right next to Scripp's Institution of Oceanography. Watched the surfers and walked on the beach a bit.

Next I headed to Kim's in downtown SD. OMG! Check out the view from her condo. I posted pics already. She looks out over Petco Park, Coronado Bridge, and to the south you can see Mexico. Chris came down and met us and we went on a walking tour through the Gas Lamp District, and then along the Bay. I really enjoyed it.

That night we went to dinner at a really good Indian place. I finally decided to take a break from Mexican food. It was great catching up with Chris and Kim and I liked our conversations on life, relationships, jobs, and where the best place to live is.

No comments: