Sunday, March 26, 2006

More Rain CA Day 4

On 3/25 Saturday I drove from Oakland to Danville to meet a Zoka teammate of mine, Brian. He had spent the week in San Jose training and had one day left. Aaron decided he didn't need to get dropped again on any climbs :-) and stayed home to get some stuff done. (I'm just razzin him). Aaron wrote up a route for us to do and Brian and I climbed up Mt. Diablo. (The weather didn't look good again, but oh well). We actually didn't go all the way to the summit, but still did about a 4 mile climb to the junction of the north and south routes.

So, guess what? About half way up it started to rain! I was pretty wet and cold once again by the time we started the descent on the other side. I came to CA to get away from this kind of weather! Luckily, we had some sun come out by the time we got to the bottom. We did a loop back to the car and got 30 miles in. Brian was going easy after 8 straight days of riding, but he still rode me off his wheel several times. That guy is really strong. He should do well at TST.

Back at Aaron's I got ready to leave and headed up the hill first for a cloudy view of the city. See picture below.

Traffic was horrible and it took nearly an hour and a half to go from Oakland to San Fran. I headed down the coast to Santa Cruz. The plan was to stay with a former colleague of mine from the Performance days. She now heads the women's dept at Specialized. Things ended up not working out for a number of reasons so I just stopped in Santa Cruz for a beer and some pizza.

I decided to drive to Monterey to spend the night. It was about 11pm now and I pulled into a parking lot near Fisherman's Warf in Monterey. Always on a budget I didn't want to pay $80 or more for some coastal hotel. I decided to sleep in the back of my car. The parking lot said no camping or sleepin in your vehicle overnight. What the hell, I saw a motorhome and semi truck and I figured they were doing it. I got my therma rest and sleeping bag ready. I moved my dumbells and swiss ball to the front along with the ice chest. The only problem now was that I'm a foot and a half taller than the space available. I made the best of it in the fetal position and slept fairly decent.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you want to leave the Seattle rain behind...you'll have to do your next trek down here in Florida. Look out for the gators!! Sounds like you're having a blast, Z! I'm enjoying reading about your adventure. :-)